Saturday, May 2, 2009

The cold snap is finally over and we are getting seasonal temperatures. I'm still under lifting restrictions but I'm healing well so I'm digging a new flower bed today. I started yesterday, very, very carefully and slowly and it was OK so I'll continue today. The area is near the elm trees on the street. The elm leaves have been falling and decaying here for years and when I moved in 7 years ago I started piling excess leaves here as well so the ground is nice and soft and loamy. I'm sure a shovel full of leafy soil weighs less than 10 lbs. The area gets morning sun and just a slip of sun an hour before sunset so I'm planning a shade garden here.

I planted a pagoda dogwood last year in the corner. Its supposed to be barely hardy here but I don't know if it made it. I don't see much that could be interpreted as leaf buds. The leaves fell off early last year, in September, I think, so I wonder if its dead. Its not crispy so I'll leave it for a bit to see what happens.

I also want to plant a Pinky Winky hydrangea in the corner and one or two Sem False Spirea (Sorbaria). I'll have to leave room for them as I've also bought a bunch of shade and semi-shade lovers... a couple of hostas, spirea, aquelegia (columbine), heuchera, ferns, solmon's seal, Cornus canadensis, ajuga, saxifrage, epimedium, etc. and I'm going to put them out today. Jim Hole said yesterday that we could plant perennials now, that a late frost won't harm them, and perennials are outside at the garden centres so I'm taking him at his word. Before and "in progress" photos later.

Once I have planted these new acquistions I'll start renovating the bed along the path to the front door. I have big plans for this area but I have to wait until the hostas show their noses so I don't stick my showel in the wrong place. More on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment