Sunday, April 5, 2009

I can hardly wait...

The temperature got up to about 8°C today and I'm starting to believe that spring is just around the corner. The little bed between the garage and the sideway, constrained by wall and concrete, is free of snow and the evergreen perennials are looking good. I have sedum acre, some other sedum I can't remember the name off, hens & chicks, strawberries and all are greening up. Since everything is still under the snow this is very encouraging.

Since real spring is still a month or so off I always head for the greenhouses at this time of year and this year is no exception. I've already been to Greenland greenhouse, which is on the Yellowhead between Edmonton and Sherwood Park, twice this year. And yes, I bought plants each time. On the first visit, in March, I bought a Cornus canadensis and three heuchera, 'Lime Rickey', 'Marmalade' and 'Mahogany'. They are all doing well and growing in size so, encouraged, I bought a varigated Polygonatum odoratum. I wanted to get one last year but it was gone by time I tried to buy it in May.

Another spring summoning ritual is to start seeds indoors. I must admit it has been a few years since I last did that but this year I borrowed a stand from a friend and filled with with peat pots. Most of them have now been transfered to 4" pots and the stand is full up. I may have started too soon. As always!

OK, that's it for now... I'll take some pictures and post them soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment