Sunday, June 7, 2009

Weeding

A few years ago I created a large garden bed on the west and south side of the back yard. It starts off narrow and gradually tapers until its about 11 feet across in the corner and then it tapers back to about 6 feet where it hits the walkway. After I planted it I kept it up for a few years but then a changing vision for the backyard and a lack of energy due to illness conspired to lead me to neglect the bed and grass and that nasty spreading campanula that is everywhere took over. Well now my energy levels are back and I need to clean up the bed. I figured the cool weather this weekend would provide the perfect opportunity to get stuck in and I was right! I spent probably 9 hrs pulling out 2 foot high grass and campanula with a garden fork and I'm somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 done. The tangle of roots was incredible but somethings survived in the mess... German iris, a peony with lots of buds, a varigated artemisia, a large family of hens and chicks, some purple aubretia, a dianthus that was supposed to be an annual but returns as a larger clump every year, several sedums and an aquilegia have surfaced so far. I can hardly wait to see what else turns up!

No comments:

Post a Comment